Thursday, February 25, 2010

snow and snow peas

 Image from here.

I've been feeling really lazy lately. I can hardly keep my eyes open right now, and I have no real reason to be tired. I'm working quite a bit, and not doing much with my free time. I feel like I haven't been doing or finding anything worth sharing here. This is not meant to be a 'oh poor me' post, just an explanation for the lack of action here lately. 

I've been spending most of my free time working on my garden plans for this summer, sourcing seeds and geeking out over my planting bed diagrams. The planning stage is one of my favourite parts of gardening. It's the perfect kind of design challenge for me, and it's even better the second time around now that I have had some practical experience. 

This year I'm going to try a succession planting technique of growing a lot of snow peas/snap peas in the spots where I will plant tomatoes, cucumbers and melons a little later in the season. I want to plant the peas as early as possible so I can get a good harvest from them before I have to pull them to make room for the other stuff. I've read that St. Patrick's Day is some people's standard for starting peas, which is March 17. That's in a few weeks! I was going to try for the weekend of the 20th, but now that we're getting all this snow, I'm not so sure I'll be able to plant quite so early. 

I think this snow has kind of bummed me out. It has made the city look less bleak, which is nice, but I don't think I was psychologically prepared for more winter. I really thought we were heading into spring. As a Canadian girl I suppose I should have known better.

No comments:

Post a Comment